We like to call the Shun Premier Chef’s Knife 8″ the older brother of the Shun DM0706 Classic 8″. This is as versatile all-purpose chef’s knife that can be used to chop, slice and dice numerous ingredients–from vegetables to fish to meat. The 8″ blade is curved and lends itself to a smooth and comfortable rocking back and forth when cutting. Furthermore its large blade is perfect for scooping and transporting ingredients from the cutting surface.
Edge and Blade Specifications:
The Shun Premier Chef’s Knife 8″ is made from VG-10 stainless steel, which makes tit harder, less brittle, and also more flexible than traditional steel formulations. The hand-hammered finish add to the overall Japanese aesthetic of the knife but also prevents food from sticking to the blade and reduces knife drag when slicing. This knife is overall very well balanced and the Pakkawood handle in a walnut finish offers a comfortable and secure grip. The Blades boast a 16-degree angle, making these the sharpest knives sharper than traditional European blades, which are usually sharpened to 20 to 22 degrees.
SOME ADVICE: Although we did not come across any quality control problems, there are some customers (a small minority) that have complained about the quality of the knife. We suggest that you take a look at the consumer reviews on Amazon before making a purchase decision.
Don’t buy if:
- Looking to invest in a versatile knife but money is an issue (look at Shun DM0706 Classic 8″)
- People who are looking for a unique Japanese hand crafted tool.
- People who take the quality and attention to detail in a product seriously (in that case look at Yoshihiro Blue Steel Kuro Uchi Gyuto 9.5″).
Who Should Buy the Shun DM0706 Classic 8″ Review:
- Those who want to upgrade their Shun DM0706 Classic 8″.
- If you are looking for a high quality versatile Japanese knife knife.