If money is an issue and you are looking for an overall versatile knife, the Shun DM0706 Classic 8″ can be an option for you. Due to the Shun’s versatility and price it makes it perfect for beginners. This is probably why it is such a popular knife amongst customers and why it is rated to highly.
Edge and Blade Specifications:
As seen on the above picture, this Japanese knife has a Western style to it although it is sharper than them. This results in slicing the food effortlessly instead of crushing it. This is achieved by using 32 layers of high-carbon stainless steel (VG-10 Japanese steel – 16 layers on either side). In addition the wood grain pattern on the sides of the knife add durability and stain resistance, as well as reduce friction when cutting. Another important thing to note is that Shun Knives are made from VG-10 stainless steel, which essentially makes them harder, less brittle, and also more flexible than traditional steel formulations.
Don’t Buy if:
- Looking to invest in a versatile knife with higher performance (look at Misono UX10 or Yoshihiro Blue Steel Kuro Uchi Gyuto 9.5″)
- People who are looking for a unique hand crafted tool.
- People who take the quality and attention to detail in a product seriously (in that case look at Yoshihiro Blue Steel Kuro Uchi Gyuto 9.5″).
Who Should Buy the Shun:
- Looking for cheaper end knife with still great performance.
- Looking for a versatile knife (perfect for beginners)
We think that the Shun DM0706 Classic 8″ is a great addition for any cook. Indeed, there are other higher quality knives out there, but the Shun’s versatility and excellent price make it this product great in terms of what you get in terms of value for money. This is undeniably why this knife is so popular amongst all sorts of cooks.